Seniors from Clyde River and surrounding communities and those seniors who have connections to the community are invited to attend the Capturing Collective Memories Event at Riverview Community Centre in Clyde River on Saturday, June 21st, 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
This event is the launch of the 2014-2015 Project entitled “Capturing Collective Memories from Seniors” which is funded by New Horizons for Seniors Program, Government of Canada.
The primary objective for this project is to invite seniors to share memories and/or materials of key events, community life and scenes in our history. Throughout the project, events will be held at the Riverview Community Centre and will include discussion of special memories/items we would like to preserve, and an invitation for donations of artifacts that would be presented in display cabinets in the Emily Bryant Room. As well, historical stories or photos could be featured on this community website.
A Steering Committee has been formed to manage this exciting project. Committee members include Hilda Colodey, Sandra Cameron and Bruce Brine.
The June 21st event will include:
- An introduction to the New Horizon’s Project – “Capturing Collective Memories”
- Discussion on what activities seniors would like to see happen in the upcoming year
- Sharing stories and ideas of historical materials that represent key events, community life and scenes/photos that highlight the history of our community and area
- A chance to view the new display cabinets we have acquired to present historical materials in the Emily Bryant Room of the Riverview Community Centre
- Ideas from Jack Sorensen of the Tryon & Area Historical Society of materials they have collected and activities that they have carried out which will help to give us some ideas about what we could do
- Refreshments and conversation
We look forward to you attending this upcoming event. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Vivian Beer at 569-8665 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.