On the inside back cover of Ina Beer Darrach’s diary that she wrote when she was 16 years old (1902), there are recipes for home remedies. Not sure if the remedy or just hearing how the remedy is made would lead to a cure.
- Dissolve 4 lbs. of sugar in 3 quarts boiling water
- Then add the tartaric acid
- When cool, add the ginger essence
- 1 pint white wine vinegar
- 3 raw eggs
- One raw egg beaten, beat egg separately and put in a little olive oil
- 1/2 pint vinegar
- 1 oz. spirits of turpentine
- 1/4 oz. spirits of wine
- 1/4 oz spirits of camphor
- Just put these ingredients in a bottle and shake for ten minutes. Cork tight.
- 2 oz. licorice, dissolve in 1 pt. boiling water overnight
- 1 pt. molasses
- 1/2 lb. of loaf sugar
- 1 oz. peppermint
- 1 oz. paregoric
To Cure Rheumatism
- Take a dessert spoonful of the following in a glass of water before meals: potassium iodide, four drachuns, 6 oz. water
- Apply locally the following ointment: oil of cade, two drachuns; Vaseline, one oz.
- If medicine causes symptoms of a cold in the head, stop it for a few days or diminish the dose.
Editor’s note: Not sure I transcribed each ingredient correctly from handwritten recipes, so please don’t try these at home.